Friday, October 1, 2010

Choza Mama Peruvian Cuisine


Well, chances are if you work at NBC, you know this place well- as it is directly across the street. Cory and I do not work at NBC, however, so this is yet another place we have never been. Personally, I have been eying it for years from my car- but I am not good at trying new places on my own WHICH is why Cory and I teamed up. Maybe you have been eying it too and just needed someone to say... don't be scared!

Well don't be. Cause it's really good. There is delicious food, air conditioning, and the fellow behind the counter- Brathzo- is friendly and funny. There's nothing to fear. Except cilantro itself... but I think you can figure that part out. Because if you can figure out how to navigate a turn through the intersection there, where like 8 roads converge with a variety of angled green arrow lights... you can probably figure out anything.



The basics: If you have had Peruvian food before, this stuff will be familiar. There's a big menu that allows you to have stuff as a plate with sides, or like- wrapped up as a burrito and more. If you're not sure what to get, ask. A lot of people who came through took stuff to go, but there is a nicely air conditioned room to eat in as well. There isn't a wait staff- you get food on a tray at a window & there is water cooler nearby so that you may help yourself. I hate waiting for water... so I was pretty happy to see that. It's the little things, you know?



Alissa: So, again I remembered to ask for a recommendation on my order instead of just randomly choosing something- which I think is a good idea if you are going somewhere for the first time. I announced "I have never been here, and I like chicken. What shall I order?" There was no hesitation- Brathzo recommended #3. That is a plate: Pollo a la Parilla. With this you get 2 sides, so I chose black beans and fried sweet plantains (which is an extra $2.15, but I lllove plantains). Also, having failed to learn not to order a whipped drink with a large meal, I ordered a Pina Colada Bang.


I was really satisfied with my meal. Overly satisfied. Cory peer pressured me into eating the entire thing, but I would say it is definitely 2 meals- next time half is coming home for dinner. The chicken was really tender & moist and had great seasoning. The black beans were... well they were black beans. And the plantains were awesome and I didn't have to share them with Cory cause he is anti-banana and banana-like fruit. I could have gone with some crema fresca for those puppies. Ah well. In addition... everything seems to come with both yellow and green chili sauces. The yellow is waayyy good- although I had a hard time justifying saucing up my stuff since I liked how it tasted already. I absolutely did not need the PC Bang & later tossed it after a couple sips. I realized if you are going to get one though- it should be the orange- I think this one tastes a little like bread that is getting a little sour. This obviously has nothing to do with Choza Mama- just a general realization.


Also- I would say that while the temperature is nice in there- you may as well get stuff to go. Hanging out with Brathzo is cool- but when we sat down the TV was on and I had to watch a huge woman trying to get her baby to breast feed and heard a bunch of unsavory words- followed closely by that show about chicks who didn't realize they were preggers and there was also some really yucky things immediately broadcast into my trying-to-enjoy-my-meal earholes. I asked if I could change the channel and there was no problem with that- so it wasn't the end of the world. The other downfall is trying to cut meat with plastic cutlery on plastic plates with compartments that prevent you from mixing all your stuff together. Again- you could take your stuff to go- or take your personal knife set out of your holster that you obviously have strapped around your hips.


Cory: So this was the first time that we went somewhere without it discussing first. Alissa just scooped me up in her Amazonian arms, tucked me into her front seat, and whisked me away toward the more studio-ish part of Burbank. It's been a while since I've been over there & I nearly forgot about all the dining options. Sure beats the hell out of tired ol' Burbank Blvd...
Anyway, I was pleased to see that she had set her mind upon this Peruvian place. Peruvian food has long been a favorite of mine - since waaaay back when I first moved to Los Angeles & my super stoned friend brought over a giant platter of what looked like french fries piled with steak, rice, & tomatoes. I assumed it was just some sort of conglomeration that he, in his WAY high condition, concocted in his kitchen; but he informed me that it was called lomo saltado. Then he got annoyed because I ate most of it...
I enjoy the way Peruvian restaurants find 50 different ways to serve up the same things. Like a Mexican restaurant, only way better. Typically, the menu consist of steak or chicken dishes accompanied by some combination of rice, beans, pasta, or potatoes. My favorite of those combos is the lomo saltado, and that's what I ordered. It's essentially grilled steak tossed with french fries, onions, and tomatoes. The two sides I chose were rice & Peruvian beans (like pinto beans, only softer).
Now, I've had some damn good lomo saltado in my day, but this one really took me by surprise. The steak was perfectly seasoned with I-don't-know-what & it must have been pan-cooked because it produced an amazing sauce in which the tomatoes & onions were sauteed. All of this came heaped upon a plastic plate beside my rice and beans, and I mushed them all together to create something that looked not unlike dog vomit. The most delicious dog vomit I've ever eaten! Not that I eat dog vomit...often. Top if off w/ some of that homemade yellow chili sauce & you're good to go.



As Alissa mentioned, the portions are generous - enough for lunch and dinner - but real men man up, so that's what I did. I put the whole thing down AND topped it off w/ an Orange Bang (which I'd never had before). Honestly, I think the Orange Bang was a little too much. It pretty much put me over the top & I floated out of that place on a cloud of orange froth. I suppose the frothy floating was a good thing though, because I was far too full to walk.



Good Bite? Or just totally bites?
A:
Good bite! Recommend! I bet there is a burrito or sandwich version of the chicken I got- and I think it might just have to come on a lunch date to the park with me sometime soon. Pina Colada Bang- you're not invited.

C: A good bite! Best Lomo Saltado I've ever had & that's saying a lot. Check it out for yourself. Just do like Alissa says & get it to go. Unless you don't mind the zero-atmosphere atmosphere of the dining room.




Info:

W Olive Ave
Burbank, CA 91505
(818) 566-9888
Open Mon-Sat 11am-9:30pm; Sun 11am-9pm

**Our reports are based on one visit/meal- so we're far from experts on these joints! so if you have advice or experiences you'd like to share, please feel free to enlighten us & our readers! Our goal is to give enough info that someone might feel okay trying somewhere new (or know to avoid it!). Thanks for reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment